A beautiful garden, and a well-maintained yard increase a property’s value like nothing else. If your garden has properly trimmed grasses and shapely bushes, they are sure to bring many compliments your way. Now that spring has arrived, it’s time to do some garden/yard chores to remove those weeds and cut through the bush that make your yard look unruly.
Thankfully, you don’t need to spend hours trying to cut tough bushes and trim grass using old-fashioned manual tools. With a powerful and efficient weed eater, you can get the job done within minutes and with great precision too.
Weed eaters, string trimmers, weed whackers, or whatever you call them, are an essential part of garden/yard maintenance. With a high-quality weed eater, you can easily trim grass and cut through bush in even the hardest to reach areas. You can save a lot of time and money by buying a suitable weed eater for your yardwork.
There are three types of weed eater available: plug-in electric, cordless battery eaters and gas-powered string trimmers.
If you are planning to buy a weed eater online, you will find numerous brands offering a wide assortment of models with different capacities and features. In this article, we will tell you what you should look for when buying a weed eater and then share with you our list of top 5 weed eaters available on the market.
- What you should look for in a weed eater
- Black & Decker LST136W 40V MAX Lithium Ion String Trimmer
- WORX 32-Volt GT2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Head and Single Line Feed
- DeWalt DCST920P1 20V MAX 5.0 Ah Lithium Ion XR Brushless String Trimmer
- GreenWorks 21362 G-MAX 40V 14-Inch Cordless String Trimmer
- Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Shaft Detachable String Trimmer
- Final verdict
What you should look for in a weed eater
To beat the competition and stay ahead in game, weed eater manufacturers are always coming up with new features and functionalities; however, the basic system remains the same. Here are some of the important things you must look for in a weed eater.
Weight and ease of use
The person using the tool bears the entire weight so it is essential that you buy a weed eater that is lightweight and easy to carry around the yard or garden. Some models come with shoulder straps that can come handy to take off the strain from your arms.
The string trimmer releases a lot of flying debris when it is in use. Most of the good-quality weed eaters come with shields at the bottom to protect you from harm by flying debris. You can wear closed shoes, thick trousers and safety goggles to protect yourself from damage caused by flying grass and rocks.
Noiseless motors or engines
The electric (corded and cordless) weed eaters are quieter when compared to gas-powered models. However, the noise levels usually vary a lot depending on the model. The gas trimmers emit a lot of sound, so we recommend you wear ear protection too.
When buying string trimmer, make sure that you buy one that is made from the highest quality materials.
Adjustability and ease of use
The good quality string trimmers can be adjusted to suit the specific requirements of an individual. They must be easy to use. The product should come with variable modes—low speed, medium speed and high speed.
Before buying a weed eater, you should also consider the place where you live, whether it is a small house with a tiny garden or a huge lawn that tends to grow tall grasses and thick bushes.
Now that you know what to look for in a high quality weed eater/string trimmer, let’s and check out the reviews of top 5 weed eaters.
Black & Decker LST136W 40V MAX Lithium Ion String Trimmer
The LST136W is a powerful and reliable weed eater manufactured by Black & Decker, a company that has been in the business of creating power tools and accessories since 1910. So, there’s a rich history of innovation that works behind Black & Decker products, and you can see the same reflected through this multipurpose trimmer.
The 13” cordless trimmer is battery powered and it delivers an incredible amount of power that can quickly and easily cut through grass and thick bushes.
The LST136W is a multipurpose tool so you can easily rotate the head 180° to switch the machine between edging and cutting tasks. You can set the battery on MAX power to cut through grass and bush on top speed, and get the task done faster.
Alternatively, you may choose MAX runtime, which reduces the power level but gives you more run time by conserving the battery life.
- It is powered by a 40-volt MAX lithium battery
- The PowerDrive transmission technology delivers a lot of power
- The PowerCommand dial enables you to shift between maximum power and maximum runtime depending on your requirements
- The automatic feed spool allows you to work continuously
- You can easily convert your weed eater into an edger or a trimmer
- The product comes with a charger that takes one hour to charge the tool
- This multipurpose tool by Black & Decker is well-balanced, lightweight and easy to use for almost anyone
- The LST136W allows you to cut with high level of precision, which is useful when you are working on areas with bushes, small trees and flowers
- When compared to other brands like DeWalt, the battery in this model is about one-third in size and it can last for only about 15 minutes when used on high power. When you use the low to moderate setting, the battery can last anywhere between 40 minutes to an hour
- The machine is fairly quiet and it takes about 1 hour to charge completely
- As the machine is extremely lightweight, thanks to the small battery, you can easily carry it from one place to another.
- It lasts only about 10-15 minutes on high power
- It consumes a lot of string
The LST136W may be good for light general trimming tasks in the city area, but it is not suitable for the heavy-duty trimming and cutting tasks.
WORX 32-Volt GT2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Head and Single Line Feed
The WORX GT 2.0 adds a great level of convenience to all your garden/yard jobs. This works as a powerful mini-mower, precision edger and string trimmer, so, it can do multiple tasks using the same tool.
What we like best about this tool is that it can easily adapt to the requirements and challenges of the garden/yard to give you professional-quality results. The product comes with three extra pre-loaded spools for uninterrupted run time.
The WORX GT 2.0 is powered by a 32-volt MaxLithium battery. It can also be converted into a mini mower by just the touch of a button. The wheel base comes with a 12” cutting diameter that performs trimming and edging with a high level of precision, even in hard-to-reach areas.
- The multipurpose power tool boasts a 3-in-1 functionality
- The quick-release lever enables quick height adjustments and 90° tilting head
- The 12” cutting diameter comes with an automatic single line feed
- It can be easily converted into a mini mower, trimmer and in-line edger
- The product includes a 32V MaxLithium battery, 3 trimmer spools and charger
- The 32-volt MaxLithium battery delivers longer run times and more power
- The power tool can serve the purpose of a trimmer, edger and mini mower for all your garden/yard jobs
- It comes with a 3-year product warranty and a 30-day money-back guarantee
- The adjustable spacer guard that comes with the tool protects flowers, plants and garden furniture from accidental damage
- The trimmer is easy to use for almost anybody, so you don’t have to be a professional to be able to work with this tool
- The front handle comes with 7 locking adjustments that add more comfort while performing tasks like trimming, edging and mowing
- It can run for up to 45 minutes on a single battery charge
- The charger takes a long time to charge
- The trimming line that comes with the product does not auto feed
If you are on a budget and need the best performing weed eater at a reasonable price, then the WORX GT 2.0 is an unbeatable choice. The versatility of the product makes it a wise buy.
DeWalt DCST920P1 20V MAX 5.0 Ah Lithium Ion XR Brushless String Trimmer
If you have even the slightest knowledge about power tools and their manufacturers, then you need no introduction to DeWalt as the company is known for offering some of the best power tools in the industry.
The product comes equipped with a 20-volt MAX 5.0Ah lithium ion battery and a 13” cutting strip to give you the best results. The product is lightweight and compact, which makes it easy to use by almost anybody.
The DCST920P1 gives you precise power control with a trigger to maintain a variable speed for better performance and maximum run time. When you want the tool to last longer, set it on moderate speed, and if you want it to work with high efficiency, then set it on high speed.
- It comes with a brushless motor for enhanced durability and efficiency
- It comes with a dual line with 13” cutting strip
- It includes a variable trigger with proper speed control
- It features a patented gear-drive design
- It features a powerful 20-volt MAX 5.0Ah lithium ion battery
- It is battery powered tool so there’s no need to fill it gas every time or experience fumes
- It requires less maintenance as there are no air filters, no spark plugs or carburetors etc.
- As this is a cordless tool; you can easily carry it anywhere and work with ease
- You can easily start and stop the tool with the trigger. It adds a great level of convenience to the product
- It comes with a 3-year limited warranty and a 90-day money-back guarantee
- It also includes 1 year of free service
- The tool can last for 45-50 minutes when fully charged
- The kick guard is not that effective. As this is a powerful tool, it throws a lot of debris so you need proper protective clothing and gear
- The 3-year limited warranty does not include motor damage
The DeWalt DCST920P1 is made for simple and light jobs and not heavy-duty tasks. If you need to do trimming and cutting jobs in a small garden or yard, this power tool can come handy.
GreenWorks 21362 G-MAX 40V 14-Inch Cordless String Trimmer
When you want a simple-to-use and lightweight cordless trimmer, the GreenWorks 21362 offers a good solution. You can buy several attachments that enhance the capabilities of this trimmer. It includes a brushless motor which is capable of delivering a high level of torque and power.
It delivers a noiseless operation without vibration. As compared to gas-powered versions, this one can start within a few seconds. The 40-volt lithium ion battery that comes with the trimmer is compatible with other power tools by this brand.
- This is a multipurpose power tool that can be used for various activities by changing the attachments
- It includes a brushless motor that can deliver a high level of torque, noiseless operation and a high level of battery efficiency
- The tool starts within seconds, and the battery is compatible with numerous other tools
- The package comes with battery and charger included
- The multipurpose GreenWorks 21362 can be used to mow your lawn, trim the edges, blow away debris and remove weeds
- The powerful 14” cut path can efficiently cut through tough weeds and bushes
- It can start and stop with just a click, which adds a lot of convenience to the tool. Compared to the gas powered version, this is a lightweight trimmer and it features 50% less noise and vibration
- The brushless DigiPro motor is capable of delivering higher efficiency and greater torque
- The battery can last for 55 minutes and takes 120 minutes to fully charge
- The motor speed is not up to expectations. It takes a slow start
- The trigger positioning is not user friendly
The GreenWorks 21362 is feature rich and can be used for numerous tasks, making it a much recommended power tool on the market.
Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Shaft Detachable String Trimmer
The 128LD comes from the house of Husqvarna, a company that has been in this industry for more than three centuries. This is a gas-powered string trimmer that comes with an easily detachable shaft. The trimmer comes with simple instructions to set up and use, making it is for beginners.
It comes equipped with a 28cc engine that delivers incredible power, and the 17” cutting width can easily cut through tall grasses and tough bushes. You can use different attachments to convert the tool into a mini mower, hedger or blower.
- It is powered by a gas-powered 28cc engine
- It includes a 17” cutting width for precision
- It uses a high-quality .095 diameter trimmer line for best results
- There are 2 cycle units that can be used as attachments
- The straight shaft can be easily detached
- The advanced and innovative 28cc 2-cycle X-Torq engine delivers great power and higher torque, with significantly reduced emission levels
- There are numerous attachments that can be used to make this a multipurpose tool for other types of yard activities
- The trimmer is lightweight and easy to handle
- It comes with a 2-year limited warranty from the manufacturer, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- It is slightly more expensive when compared with other string trimmers and weed eaters
- You need to refill the tank when it runs out of gas, which can be a hassle
The 128LD is a perfect tool if you need to do some heavy-duty cutting and trimming for your lawn and garden. It is ideal for those who live in the country as they have to deal with a lot of thick bushes and tall grass.
When buying a weed eater, you need to take a few things into consideration and these are versatility, price and your location. If you live in a city or suburban area, then a trimmer meant for light use may be enough and the battery powered DeWalt DCST920P1 20V MAX 5.0 Ah Lithium Ion XR Brushless String Trimmer is a good choice.
However, if you live in a rural setting with thick bushes and tall grass, we suggest you invest in a more powerful and long-lasting gas- powered weed eater such as the Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Shaft Detachable String Trimmer.
Whether you buy a corded or cordless, battery-powered or gas-powered string trimmer, make sure you wear protective clothing and goggles to prevent the flying debris from injuring you.