This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission. Thanks.
Husqvarna 128LD is a powerful string trimmer manufactured by a company that boasts a rich history (plus incredible reputation) that goes back to 1689. For more than three centuries, the Husqvarna Group has been manufacturing an array of high-quality products that meet the expectations of customers.
Their tools are examples of superb engineering skills and the team’s passion for quality. Their range of products includes almost everything from sewing machines, weapons, stoves, and a ton of today’s power tools.
The Husqvarna 128LD String Trimmer a lightweight powerful gas string trimmer that can be used for various trimming and mowing activities. If you want to have a beautifully landscaped garden or yard, this string trimmer can get it done within minutes — and in this Husqvarna 128L review, we’ll dive into exactly how to get the job done not just fast, but well.
When you’re buying a tool to get work done, it’s important to compare what one tool versus another actually offers and how it relates to your needs. So let’s get into it!
Start-Up and Fuel
The advanced start recoil system, coupled with the smart fuel pump, makes it easy to start the trimmer. It features a strong and braided wire cable drive with a T25 semi-automatic trimmer head.
This gas-powered string trimmer comes with a 28cc engine. While it’s only a 2-cycle engine, you’ll definitely not be lacking for power with the 1hp power output. Keep in mind that a 2-cycle engine needs a gas-oil mix to run properly.
The product comes with numerous attachments (11 of them!) that can help you convert it to different useful tools for various types of yard activities such as edging, cutting, or mowing.
The manual comes with simple and useful instructions to set up and use the trimmer. You’ll find attachments across all MTD brands that will fit.
This baby uses a 0.095-inch string to cover a 17-inch cutting width. While that’s a little bit bulkier of a string than some weed eaters have, it’s also tougher to be able to blast through the thicker clumps and thicker stalks on brush.
With the bump head feature, you’ll be able to quickly feed out more string on the fly without having to shut it down.
This guy packs a ton of power in a roughly 11-pound package. How’s that for a job well done — you won’t even have a nasty sore back when you’re finished!
This is a real nice string trimmer that has an air purge feature for a more efficient startup. In addition, it runs SO smooth so you won’t have that vibrating/numb hands thing when you hang it up when you’re done. That’s a big win in the string trimmer department!
Pros & Cons
- 28cc 2-cycle X-Torq engine, which means less fuel consumption and significantly reduced emission levels.
- Smart Start system, which ensures that the unit starts up quickly and effortlessly. The convenient switch automatically resets to the ‘ON’ position when it is switched off to make it easier to start.
- Numerous attachments enable you to transform the trimmer into numerous other forms of yard tools.
- It weighs 10.8 lbs.
- Detachable shaft that makes transport and storage easier.
- The bump string feed is easy to use.
- 2-year limited warranty, but the engine and attachments are not covered by this warranty.
- 30-day money-back guarantee (full refund).
- Multi-function tool saves money over buying multiple separate tools.
- Runs for up to roughly 10 hours without interruption. Unlike the battery-powered versions, you will not need to take a break to charge your tool and then finish your task.
- 11 pounds may be on the heavy side for someone with an average build.
- String does not discharge fully automatically.
- Somewhat expensive, but taking into account the various jobs this one tool can accomplish, the price looks pretty justified.
- Filling gas and dealing with the fumes (although light) can be a cumbersome experience.
Husqvarna 128LD Review – FAQ
Are Husqvarna trimmers any good?
If you couldn’t tell by now, absolutely yes they are. They are honestly one of the best of the best, top brands when it comes to outdoor/yard equipment. It’s honestly one of those brands where you can just buy one of their products without even doing any research and you’ll just know you’re getting a high-quality product!
Their string trimmers are honestly about as good as you can get without going into commercial-use string trimmers.
What is the difference between Husqvarna 128LD and Husvarna 128LDX?
Their shaft size differs, so the attachments generally are not cross-compatible. The 128LD was designed to fit across all MTD brands/national retailers, whereas the 128LDX is compatible with the professional accessories that Husqvarna offers.
Can I use cutting blades on the Husqvarna 128LD?
No, this product was not designed to be compatible with blades, nor is there an adapter available.
Who makes the Husqvarna 128LD engine?
It may depend on where you purchase your model from, but in general, Husqvarna engines are made by Poulan, or Honda — this is across many of their equipment options, not just string trimmers.
If you live in a place where your garden tends to get covered with thick bushes and weeds, the Husqvarna 128LD String Trimmer can be an ideal choice.
This multi-purpose tool can be used to perform a number of trimming, mowing, and hedging jobs with great ease. It is well-built and durable to last a long time. With multi-functional bragging rights and a long run-time from its powerful engine, you’ll be finished trimming a well-manicured lawn or hacking down overgrown brush in no time, and without the usual string trimmer fatigue.
When you don’t mind spending a little extra to get more benefits from your investment, the Husqvarna 128LD is a good buy. We recommend it for those who are looking for a robust solution to clean a garden or yard.