This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a small commission. Thanks.
The DeWalt DCST920P1 comes from the maker of a highly reputed manufacturer of power tools—DeWalt. For some people, the name alone is enough to trust the product — people will literally buy this brand’s products sight unseen, with no research done. THAT is how good they are.
But do all of their products deliver the same reputation? DeWalt is an American producer of highly efficient power tools and hand tools meant for various industries such as manufacturing, construction, and woodworking. DeWalt is actually a subsidiary unit of Stanley Black & Decker.
While they are well-known for power tools (drills, saws, etc), they are slightly less well-known for their battery-operated string trimmers. In this DeWalt DCST920P1 review we’ll show you how this brand is hitting the lawn and garden world, too.
We know this string trimmer is battery-powered, but what else is worth noting about this trimmer? It’s important to know all the details, so we’ll look more closely below.
The DCST920P1 is a professional string trimmer that comes with a 20V MAX 5.0 Ah lithium battery that makes maintaining a garden or yard easy. You’ll have the freedom from cords or gas cans, but you will obviously need to ensure it has a charge before you dive into your cutting task. Just make it a habit to plug in your tool to the electric charger when you’re done using it and your advanced weed eater will be up and running in no time.
It also has an advanced patented gear drive design to keep it running smoothly.
The DeWalt DCST920P1 comes with precise power controls and different levels of speed that enable the tool to deliver an amazing performance every time you use it. It comes with an adjustable trigger and high-to-low speed control switch to give you just the amount of power you need to cut or trim the grass with a high level of precision.
When you have this high-performing trimmer, you don’t need to postpone your plans to cut the grass and clean your yard, since you’ll have it done in no time.
With a dual line and bump feed, you’ll be cruising through your weed eating tasks with ease. The 0.080″ line is sharp enough to cut a crisp line as you trim and edge around your lawn, and the easy replacement method makes restringing your trimmer a breeze.
It also includes a 13” band to cut through tough grass and bushes.
This string trimmer features a brushless motor which helps increase the efficiency as well as the life of the motor. It’s a smooth-running design that, paired with the patented gear drive, provides amplified torque and superior overall performance.
The DeWalt DCST920P1 weighs about 14 pounds, so it is a little heavier than some other options on the market.
DeWalt gave this string trimmer a 3-year limited warranty, with 1 year of free service and 90-day money back guarantee. That means you could work on your lawn for about 3 MONTHS and then still get your money back if you’re not satisfied.
- The Brushless String Trimmer gives you precise power control to enable you to carry out a plethora of trimming, cutting, and mowing activities with great ease. The brushless motor adds to the level of efficiency and durability.
- It also comes with a variable speed trigger, which enables you to adjust the speed depending on the type of work to be done.
- When you are cutting through tough bush, you might need to run the tool at high speed, and when you are trimming light grass or removing weeds, you may switch to low speed for better results. This also helps in saving the battery so that it lasts longer.
- The patented gear drive design adds more torque to the tool and also enables the weed eater to maintain cutting speed, even under load.
- The string trimmer can power through even the toughest bushes and other growth within less time to give you great results. It is an indispensable tool if you live in the country and your yard and garden need regular trimming.
- The DeWalt DCST920P1 is a low-maintenance product as it contains no carburetors, no air filters, and no spark plugs.
- This is a battery-powered tool which means no more worrying about filling up gas tanks and dealing with the fumes. The tool can start and stop by simply pulling the trigger which makes it extremely easy to use for almost anybody.
- Read the instructions provided in the manual carefully and make sure you wear protective clothing as there is a lot of debris flying in the air when you use the tool at any speed.
- When fully charged, the tool can run for 45-50 minutes, which will help you cover a lot of trimming and cutting tasks with precision. If you use the tool on low-speed mode, you can enhance the battery life.
- DeWalt stands behind its products and offers a 3-year limited warranty, with a 90-day money-back guarantee. It also includes 1-year of free service.
- The kick guard that comes with the product does not block well, so you get grass and other debris is blown at you. So, you might need to invest in better quality protective clothing and goggles.
- Unfortunately, the 3-year limited warranty does not cover the motor if you have been using it regularly for over a year.
- The DeWalt DCST920P1 is slightly heavier compared to weed eaters by other brands.
DeWalt DCST920P1 Review – FAQ
How long do 20V trimmers last?
On average, you’ll get around 40 minutes or so of use out of this battery, during average use. If you’re trying to knock down a miniature forest of weeds, plan on recharging once or twice during that job.
What does DeWalt 20v MAX mean?
You’d think a battery labeled as 20V max would be a usual 20V battery….but it’s not. It’s actually an 18V battery, which sure sounds less powerful. (If you ever see an 18V XR battery from DeWalt, it’s basically just different branding.)
Technically, it’s an 18V battery, but at very first use it CAN reach a MAXIMUM voltage of 20V. Chalk this up to a marketing thing, know that this is roughly the same as just buying an 18V string trimmer, most of the time….and move on.
(You can read more about their marketing and labeling choices in this article.)
Can I use a DeWalt 18V battery in a 20V tool?
If you have some 18V DeWalt batteries hanging around and you want to use them as the “avoid waiting for this thing to recharge” effort, go for it. Knowing that your trimmer would essentially BE an 18V trimmer if not for that little early boost on its included battery, it’s not like you’re going to overpower this string trimmer.
When you want a really powerful tool for removing tough bushes and trimming grass, the DeWalt DCST920P1 is a perfect and reliable choice. It not only delivers incredible performance, but it also carries the trusted name of DeWalt that makes it a winner!
It’s definitely well worth the (affordable) price to add this to your lawn care arsenal. You’ll be able to get the average yard cleaned up before the battery runs out, the slightly thinner 0.080″ string line will give you a nice sharp cut wherever you’re working, and the weight gives it a nice feel in your hands as you get in the groove of swinging it along.
We would definitely recommend this tool on your list of cordless, brushless string trimmers to consider!