Your garden needs trimming regularly to keep it looking pretty and proper all the time. There are professional landscapers who do this for a fee. But you will agree with me that with the present economic hurdles, there are things you can do on your own and in the process save a pretty penny.
For you to do this, however, you need to get the right tools for the job. For a long time, most people have relied on electric and gas powered trimmers. These trimmers are quite expensive and harsh on the environment.
That is why you will do just fine with a battery powered trimmer. Furthermore, the battery can be used for other purposes such as with chainsaws, lawn mowers, and leaf blowers. This has made them very popular.
So how do you choose the best battery powered weed eater for your lawn or garden?We will help you navigate the process and settle for the best.
How to Choose the Best Battery Powered Weed Eater
If you have decided to buy a battery powered weed eater, there are some factors you must bear in mind before you settle on the best choice. Here are some of the things that will guide your decision.
Straight or Curved shaft?
The shaft is one of the most important features of a weed eater since it is responsible for transferring power from the motor to the blades. If you are tall you could consider a straight shaft since it is better equipped for your height and has a longer reach. Those with curved shafts are lighter and easier to handle though
You really do not need to rob a bank to buy a trimmer. There are very many quality, affordable trimmers at your disposal. Consider how much you are willing to spend and settle for one.
Be sure to pick a trimmer that has the right safety features. This is especially so when it comes to noise emission. Trimmers can be quite noisy emitting noise over 85 decibels. Ensure you pick one that produces less noise.
What to Look for In a Battery Powered Weed Eater
Pay special attention to the features of the weed eater to ascertain that it serves you well. This is because, though at the basic level they are equipped with a blade and a motor, they function differently due to the other features that they may have.
Look out especially for the following:
Some weed eaters are designed such that they allow weeds and tall grass to wrap around the cutting head. This can slow down, or even stall the trimmer altogether. We recommend models that have a protective sleeve between the cutting head and the trimming shaft.
The weight of the trimmer, when held in a cutting position should be evenly distributed or feel a little heavier at the top. This will enable you to keep your balance and ease the weeding process.
The controls on the trimmer should be easy to reach and work smoothly. This will save you a lot of energy and time and make the trimming process much easier.
Bearing in mind the above features,we now suggest some of the best battery powered weed eaters you are likely to find in the market today. We analyze them in terms of their features, what we like about them and some of their less likable features. We then give a verdict on what we would settle for.
WORX 13" Cordless Grass Trimmer
The Worx Cordless Grass Trimmer is one of the highest rated weed eaters available in the market today. Here are some of its greatest features that have endeared it to so many:
- It has an innovative command Feed spool system that ensures as-needed line feeding
- Zero noise emission
- Adjustable speed control system for additional running time and powerful versatility
- Long lasting Lithium battery with battery indicator
- Straight shaft design
- Pivoting cutting head
- Rotating rear handle
- The highly professional-grade trimmer can handle very tough jobs
- The rear handles rotates thereby giving maximum comfort when edging
- It is environmentally friendly due to lack of emissions
- The removable in-line wheels ensures a convenient transition between trimming and edging
- It is cordless thus easy to use and store.
- The battery runs out after a short while hence cannot be used on big farms or gardens Bottom of Form
Makita String Trimmer
The Makita string trimmer is another versatile trimmer that will keep your lawn well-manicured. Check out these features
- Adjustable telescoping shaft for a perfect cutting position
- Ergonomic design with a great balance with less weight
- Adjustable pivoting head that allows you to adjust the cutting angle to reach really tight places
- Compact size
- It is light and easy to use
- The shaft can be adjusted for better positioning for the perfect cut
- Can be used in very tight places due to the adjustable pivoting head
- The battery is not affixed and is bought separately thus making it more cumbersome to fix at the point of use
There are is doubt great battery powered weed eaters and you should not have any problem getting one that will fit your budget and satisfy your needs.
It is very important though that you get the features right for you to enjoy the maximum benefits of this great outdoor activity of priming and trimming your garden and lawn. If you consider all the factors we highlighted, your investment will not be in vain.
For our purposes though, we will recommend the Worx 13” Cordless Trimmer due to its superior features. For one, it is cordless, making it quite easy to move around without any risk of accidents.
Furthermore, it is two-in-one and can be used both trimming and precision edging. Lastly, it is great for the environment since I have zero noise and smoke emission. Nevertheless, feel free to choose from any other of those we have suggested since they equally do a great job.